Moms work hard—like, really hard! From pregnancy to the toddler years and beyond, the physical and emotional labor never stops. So when it comes time to treat your partner, sister or pregnant friend to a little something for her birthday or Mother’s Day,, it’s worth pulling out all the stops. One gift that hits the mark every time: Birthstone jewelry for moms.
Many parents wear jewelry featuring their child’s birthstone to honor their arrival into the world and celebrate this super-special bond. Whether you’re looking for stackable rings, statement earrings or a baby birthstone necklace for Mom, there are options to suit all styles and budgets. Keep reading to learn more about the colorful history of birthstones—plus, browse our favorite jewelry brands and a few of the most stunning pieces.
Birthstones by Month
Birthstones are semi-precious or precious stones, associated with different months of the year. Each gemstone is said to have its own unique qualities, although many people simply choose to wear birthstone jewelry as it looks so pretty and sparkly. Ready to discover the 12 modern birthstones and get a brief description of each gem? Keep scrolling; remember, this list is not definitive and some birth dates have multiple birthstones—so you can pick your favorite!
• January: Garnet is the birthstone for January. This deep red jewel is said to signify trust and friendship.
• February: The birthstone for February is amethyst. It comes in a wide variety of colors and is traditionally believed to strengthen courage and relationships.
• March: Aquamarine is the birthstone for babies born in March. In the past, this pale blue stone was said to have healing powers.
• April: April’s birthstone is a diamond, which is the best-known (and most valuable) stone on this list. It’s no surprise that diamonds represent love and loyalty.
• May: Emerald is a precious stone associated with the month of May. The gem symbolizes health, rebirth and faithfulness.
• June: Pearls are the traditional birthstone for June, and are said to be the ultimate symbol of wisdom.
• July: The birthstone for July is ruby. Rubies are classified as a precious stone, and are commonly associated with love, passion and wealth.
• August: Peridot is a yellow or green gemstone linked with the month of August. This birthstone is a symbol of strength.
• September: Sapphire is the birthstone for September. It comes in many shades but blue sapphires tend to be the most popular variety. This precious stone has a deep history and is most commonly associated with protection, wisdom and faith.
• October: Tourmaline is the modern birthstone for October, superseding the traditional opal. Tourmaline comes in many colors, and represents compassion and gentleness.
• November: The birthstone for November is citrine. The bright yellow-orange gemstone is known as a symbol of happiness.
• December: Topaz is one of the designated birthstones for December (turquoise is another option). The icy blue gem is known as the stone of clarity.
Where to Buy Birthstone Jewelry for Moms
Searching for exquisite birthstone jewelry? Here are four of our favorite places to find unique earrings, bracelets, rings and necklaces featuring your gemstone of choice.
• DavidYurman.com: If you’re after a high-end piece of birthstone jewelry for Mom, head straight to David Yurman. The site is home to a curated collection of earrings, necklaces, rings and more.
• BrilliantEarth.com: Brilliant Earth is a sustainable brand, with a section dedicated to birthstone jewelry. Check out the handy buyer’s guide with information on each birthstone’s history, and browse jewelry pieces by month.
• JamesAllen.com: This luxury brand has a wide range of handcrafted birthstone jewelry made using natural gemstones, including sapphires, rubies and emeralds.
• Etsy: Searching for affordable birthstone jewelry for Mom? Etsy has tons of beautiful options, including stackable birthstone rings, with prices as low as $20.
Birthstone Necklaces for Mom
A birthstone necklace is one of the most popular styles on offer—and with good reason. There are endless iterations on offer, from simple crystal pendants to mother-and-child birthstone necklaces set with multiple gemstones. Here are a few of our favorite picks available right now.
Choice of Queen Personalized Family Birthstone Necklace
Custom birthstone jewelry for mom is extra-special. This dainty necklace can be personalized to include up to seven different birthstones, making it a great choice for parents with multiple children. Bonus: You can also choose the chain length and metal of your choice.
Buy it: Starting from $75, Etsy.com
Jane Win Make a Wish Birthstone Pendant
If mama loves to layer jewelry, treat her to this gorgeous gold pendant which can be added to her chain of choice. It’s decorated with a “guiding star” surrounded by symbols that relate to each moon phase of the year. Add baby’s birthstone, for a truly beautiful piece of jewelry Mom will want to wear every day.
Buy it: $298, JaneWin.com
Tai Rittichai Birthstone Charm Necklace
Fusing modern design with traditional craftsmanship, this handmade necklace is hard to beat. Multiple charms suspended on a slim chain give this piece a cool, bohemian vibe. And at only $58, this pick is pretty affordable too.
Buy it: $58, Anthropologie.com
Baublebar Nadine 18K Gold Birthstone Necklace
This birthstone necklace for Mom boasts a pear-shaped gem strung on a classic gold chain. Choose the color that corresponds to baby’s birth month or go with Mom’s own birthstone. It’s the perfect accessory for people that prefer classic jewelry styles.
Buy it: $58, Baublebar.com
Starling Birthstone Compass Charm 3 Stone Necklace
You’re on the right track with this family birthstone necklace for Mom. The design is inspired by a compass as a tribute to the journey to parenthood. It’s made from recycled gold and set with three natural gemstones to symbolize each member of the family.
Buy it: Starting from $390, Anthropologie.com
Birthstone Rings for Mom
A birthstone ring will make Mom smile every time she looks down at her bejeweled hand. Browse our top picks, below—from stackable birthstone rings to showstopper pieces featuring multiple gems.
Pandora Birthstone Beaded Ring
Searching for affordable birthstone jewelry for Mom that doesn’t compromise on quality? Head straight to Pandora. This hand-finished silver ring has a modern beaded design topped with a man-made crystal.
Buy it: $50, Pandora.com
Silverandivy Sterling Silver Birthstone Stacking Ring
How about a simple yet stylish birthstone ring for Mom? The delicate sterling silver bands feature genuine gemstones that sparkle and shine. Plus, these handmade rings can be stacked or worn on their own.
Buy it: $18, Etsy.com
Bloomingdale’s Birthstone & Diamond Accent Stacking Ring in 14K Gold
Celebrating something special? This fancy birthstone ring would make an excellent push present or anniversary gift. The emerald cut gemstone is accented with diamonds to create a real showstopper piece.
Buy it: Starting from $1,100, Bloomingdales.com
Mama’s Liquid Love Birthstone Ring
Did you know you can have breastmilk jewelry created with birthstones? Yes, really! The centerpiece of this custom ring is a jewel made from your breastmilk, which stands in contrast to your choice of colorful birthstones.
Buy it: $230, MamasLiquidLove.com
Eve’s Addiction Petite 2 Stone Oval Birthstone Gold Ring
This dual birthstone ring is a great way to celebrate the bond between mother and baby. The pretty gold-plated band can be customized with two cubic zirconia birthstones of your choice.
Buy it: $54, EvesAddiction.com
Birthstone Bracelets for Mom
A bracelet is a good option if you’re in the market for multiple-birthstone jewelry, or simply want something a little different. From elegant bangles to personalized pieces, we’ve selected the best birthstone bracelets available.
Kendra Scott Elaina Silver Adjustable Chain Bracelet In Peridot Illusion
Kendra Scott is home to a wide array of birthstone jewelry for moms. Our top pick? This adjustable, chain-link bracelet will add an elegant touch to any ensemble.
Buy it: $60, KendraScott.com
Maya Creations: Jewelry by Vandana Puri 14k Yellow Gold Personalized Birthstone Bracelet
We’re obsessed with Maya Creations, a brand that creates responsibly sourced birthstone jewelry for moms and daughters. Personalize this bracelet with an initial, set in diamonds alongside an ethically sourced birthstone. It also has an adjustable fit, meaning it can be handed down as an heirloom when the time is right. Talk about a gift that keeps on giving!
Buy it: $875, Maisonette.com
Inbalmishan Custom Birthstone Bracelet for Mom
Searching for jewelry as unique as Mom? Check out this custom cuff from Etsy. Decorated with raw birthstones, this trendy bracelet is available in gold or silver.
Buy it: Starting from $69, Etsy.com
Kay Jewelers Color Stone ‘Mama’ Bracelet
Kay Jewelers offers personalized birthstone jewelry at reasonable prices. Case in point: This cool “Mama” bracelet that can be customized with up to four genuine gemstones.
Buy it: Starting at $110, KayJewelers.com
Eve’s Addiction Four Birthstone Pea in a Pod Gold Bracelet
Shopping for a mom of twins (or even triplets!)? We’ve got you covered. This super-cute bracelet has space for a birthstone to symbolize each member of the family, safely tucked inside a pea pod.
Buy it: $80, EvesAddiction.com
Birthstone Earrings for Mom
Still haven’t found what you’re looking for? Maybe a pair of birthstone earrings will do the trick. From simple studs to huggies and hoops, check out the styles that caught our eye.
Stone and Strand Birthstone gold multi-stone single earring
If Mama has multiple piercings, you could opt for a single earring. Stone and Strand jewelry is made for stacking, making this solo stud the perfect addition to her collection. It’s handcrafted from gold and set with a gem as well as a tiny diamond for added sparkle.
Buy it: $135, NetaPorter.com
Melinda Maria Birthstone Huggie Charm Set
Huggies are all the rage right now, so you can imagine our delight when we found this beautiful pair. The small hoops are adorned with dangling birthstones and finished with a shiny stud.
Buy it: $58, MelindaMaria.com
Juraté Brown and Johnna Green Raw Birthstone Studs
How about birthstone studs with a modern twist? This handmade pair features gorgeous raw gemstones nestled in a minimalist, sterling silver setting. Choose a stone to correspond with mom’s birth month (or baby’s)—from January’s red garnet to June’s moonstone or December’s turquoise.
Buy it: $47, UncommonGoods.com
Jared Color Stone Hoop Earrings
The best birthstone jewelry for Mom complements her unique sense of style. If she’s rarely seen without a pair of statement hoop earrings, why not buy her a pair made using baby’s birthstone? This customizable style is available in a variety of finishes, from silver to 14-karat gold.
Buy it: Starting from $82, Jared.com
EF Collection Birthstone Stud Earrings
Last, but certainly not least, is a pair of 14-karat gold stud earrings. The square-cut birthstones are anchored by circular diamonds, resulting in an elegant and timeless piece of jewelry.
Buy it: $395, Nordstrom.com